Thursday, July 16, 2015

My Experience With... Meeting Priscilla Shirer



Okay, some of you may be going, “Who?” Please, just bear with me. This was an exciting time. And for those of you who know who Beth Moore is, you probably know who Priscilla Shirer is, too. And those of you who actually know and love Priscilla Shirer, you may be screaming right now.



Priscilla Shirer is one of my favorite Women's Bible Study leaders. I've used her One in a Million and Gideon studies, and she's AMAZING. It's right on my level, and she gets to the point. When I first learned that she's the daughter of preacher Dr. Tony Evans, I kinda did a double-take. Nothing against Dr. Evans, and all, but.... she's so sedate! If you don't know who Dr. Evans preaches, here's a sample:



And now, Priscilla Shirer.



You see how I made the comparison, right?

Now, this is where the cool part comes in. For those of you who know what War Room is, she's the lead female in the movie. For the rest of you... have you heard of Facing the Giants or Courageous? The people who made those movies have made their fifth movie, War Room. And I can hardly wait to see it. Here's the official trailer:



I learned that they needed extras in that move, and lo and behold, it's right smack dab near where I live! Coincidence? Some might say. I call it providence!

By the way.... if you've never been in a movie... it is not all glitz and glamour at all.... and it is DEFINITELY not theatre! I would say the hardest part for me was when they said in the first scene they shot, “DON'T LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE CAMERA!” Crud. There's a humongous camera about ten feet away from me, with nothing to visually obstruct it. Yes, I'm in the movie, just hold your horses.

I saw Priscilla Shirer's hairstyle in the first scene... IT WAS SO GORGEOUS! That plus the fact that she was in the same room as I was made my adrenaline rush crazier than Fury 325 and the Intimidator combined! It was all a dream... a long, two-day dream, but hey, at least it wasn't a nightmare!!!

On the second (and last) day of shooting, I said goodbye to the people I'd connected with, and went outside... I'd noticed that I'd gotten a voicemail. At that time, I was job hunting, and it was a notification from a temp agency for a possible assignment. It didn't happen, by the way.

In any case, about 10 yards from me, there was Priscilla Shirer! She was just sitting by herself, talking on her cell phone! I felt like I was in a book, the scenario was just too perfect! I'm using a lot of exclamation points here!!! I waited until she ended her call (no, I'm not a stalker), then shyly walked up to her. I'd already taken a picture with T.C. Stallings, the star of the movie (AMAZING athlete, by the way), so I'd figured, why not seize the moment with the lead female / author of cool Bible Study workbooks? I shyly walked up to her, working over the conversation in my mind.



“Um, hello?”

Yes. That was the opening line I chose.

I ended up fumbling through my sentences, telling her I liked her Bible studies, and then telling her about the fact that I had a call for a possible job opportunity. She was very pleasant to talk to, and I'm not exactly sure what she said, but it was encouraging and sincere.

Then, the blurt happened.

“You wanna take a selfie?”

. . .

Okay. Speech... never my thing. Not talking to people personally. Despite the fact that I am slightly extroverted. I'm either awkwardly reserved, or awkwardly bold. Unless I know you very well. Even still. This was only last year, and I'm in my 20s. You'd think I'd have this one-on-one socializng thing pegged! Why are sentences in this paragraph so short?

You have no idea how happy I was when she agreed to it! Well, what did I expect, she was totally cool!



I looked at the picture on my phone, and my eyes widened. If I didn't know any better, I could've sworn we were somehow related! Priscilla Shirer, if you're reading this, please don't get offended by that remark, it was seriously the first thing that came to my mind. My mother said that we actually did look almost related, so I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought that.

Anyway, that's how I met Priscilla Shirer. Boy, I can imagine the conversation she had with her family and Beth Moore after that little incident....

Awkward....


Oh, and I did take a picture with the Kendrick brothers. They're really swell people, you know?




This is definitely not my only “I-met-someone-famous” scenario. There will be more... in due time.


What's your awkward meeting-someone-famous story? Even if he/she/it/they is/are only obscurely famous? Who would you like to meet? What would you do if you got a chance to spend time with them?

You know what, I'd like to answer one of these questions, myself, since it looks like such fun!

Q: What would you do if you got a chance to spend time with [someone famous]?

A: I'd do a duet with Josh Groban, a song with Rhett & Link, and sing “I 2 I” with Bruno Mars. There, I said it. Oh, and have a jam session and arcade hangout with Stevie Brock. You have NO idea the crush I had on him way back when.



Oh, alright. Here's the video I'm in... It's really easy to spot me. Just don't blink. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...