Friday, December 18, 2015

My Experience With... The Original Star Wars Trilogy

Greetings, one and all!!!

So many people in the US are still standing in line to watch the all-new, bound-to-be-award-winning Star Wars Trek Wars Episode 7 movie.

Personally, I'm glad I'm not one of those people. I prefer waiting until the movie comes out on DVD or something.


Now, I originally had no interest in Star Wars Trek Wars, so I was not one of the many who watched the franchise when I was a kid. My mother ended up buying the VHS set for me recently, I guess as a "just 'cause" gift because I have been really showing my geek side lately. I figured "Hey, maybe I can fully relate to many more people if I watch this cultural masterpiece."

So I did. Overall, it was surprisingly good, in my opinion.

The first one would undoubtedly be my favorite. Despite its being based off the fourth book in the series, it held up very well as a movie. I didn't get such a set-in-stone "beginning, middle, and end" like I see in so many movies. You could tell that the story started in the middle of a set of events. The end didn't seem too finite, nor did it seem like the franchise was screaming, "You gotta pay another [insert local ticket price here] in order to see what happens neeext!"

*coughcoughtwighlightlordoftheringsharrypotterhungergamescoughcough*

Whoof! Pardon me. I must be getting that "winter cough."

Anyway, I'm not gonna waste time on the story itself, mostly because pretty much everybody has watched it already. I will say that one of my favorite scenes is when Darth Vader kills Obi-Wan Kenobe. Sounds weird, I know, but I would definitely say - even though the scene itself didn't make all that much sense -  it's a tug-at-the-heart moment, and the effect was pretty cool.



C'mon, you gotta admit, that's pretty sweet how they did that, especially for the time period.

And that brings me to the next aspect: the effects.

I like to watch a ton of old movies / tv shows, and this movie really does turn the tables as far as special effects go.

The second one would have to be my least favorite. I found it pretty boring (not unlike the Two Towers book that I have yet to finish), and really more of a bridge to the finale of the trilogy... which still didn't hold a candle to the first one! Yeah, the "I am your father," scene was pretty funny, the mask removal was creepy and hilarious, and the ultimate "end boss" character (the thing that looks like Skeletor, he-who-shall-not-be-named, and Nightmare from Kirby's Adventures got their DNAs blended) was really disappointing.


Oh, and of course, my fave characters are C3PO and R2D2. Their shenanigans are so cute and hilarious!

All-in-all, I don't mind the trilogy, glad I watched it, not so much in a hurry to watch it again.


Happy new Star Wars Day, and Merry Christmas to all!



Before I go, here's a funny Star Wars-themed sketch from Clinton Jackson:




What's your favorite Christmas tradition?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...