Friday, September 16, 2016

My Experience With... The Twin Towers

You know, it didn't even hit me when I scheduled "The Little Panda Fighter" that Patriot's Day was coming up. So, without further adieu...



I'm getting nostalgic just looking at that picture.

I pretty much grew up in the whole NY/NJ area, and going to New York for me was either a drive through the Holland Tunnel, a ride on the PATH subway, or the rare ride on the ferry. However, no matter where I was, I always seemed to feel a little sense of being home just seeing the Twin Towers in the distance.

Going to the World Trade Center on the PATH was pretty much awesome for me, even as a kid who frequented the PATH, and looking straight up when standing at its base was almost breathtaking.

A couple of amazing memories attached to this would be the following:

1) I would often go to the WB store (anybody remember that?) located in the underground floor. It was filled with Looney Toons characters galore, along with other WB cartoon characters of the time period. And if I went there before or after going to the Pretzel Time close by, it was paradise for my young self. I remember my parents got me some framed pictures based on the iconic characters (I still have my picture of The Rabbit of Seville!), a Tweety Bird t-shirt (at the time, I was tiny, and it was practically a dress), as well as a Tweety Bird backpack with matching stationery, as well as Buster and Babs Bunny stuffed toys. Sadly, I lost Babs on a carousel ride at Newport Mall, and I'm pretty sure I returned sadder than my lonely Buster Bunny. Either way, I miss that store so much.


Again, waxing nostalgic over here.

2) Arthur's Birthday Party. Okay, so maybe I was probably s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y out of Arthur's target demographic by the time this came out, but this elementary-school student that was yours truly was not about to miss out on this party of a lifetime.

I WAS A KID, OKAY?!

It was pretty awesome, actually. Some crow puppets were the opening act, I got to see a pretty decent magician, not to mention all the FREE ICE CREAM I could eat!!!! :) And of course, when Arthur and the gang came out, the whole party was jumpin'. Dancing to some Arthur tunes, plus some hits through the decades.

I remember at the end of the show, D.W. said, "Thanks for coming, I hope you all enjoyed my show!" Arthur ran out and said, "My show, DW. Maybe you can have one next year." In typical "little sister" fashion, she turns away with her arms folded. Little did any of us know of what was to come.

The events surrounding the 9/11 attacks were no doubt hard to watch. I remember my mother letting me know that the Twin Towers were attacked while I was working on my history lesson (I was homeschooled at the time). I also remember seeing when the North tower finally collapsed. Mostly, though, I remember that smoke rose from that area for days, and it was seen EVERYWHERE.

Not surprisingly, I do miss the Twin Towers. I wish that I could've taken future kids to see it. I do, however, have going to the top of the Freedom Tower on my bucket list. The next item: taking my future family to the top of the Freedom Tower.


What's your favorite landmark?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...