Friday, June 24, 2016

My Experience With... Beauty Tricks for Cool Chix by Caroline Naylor

Many of us in America are starting to turn back to more natural alternatives to living, from food to beauty and beyond, joining the many people who have been doing it for years and are now blogging about it.

I am one of those many people looking at websites and YouTube videos in attempts of finding that wonderfully magic combination that turns my hair into silk. Or, at least, that’s my basest imagination in the back of my mind. The part of me with common sense that there is no magic combination.

A lady of my calibre can dream, right?

Like most behaviors of mine, this one has a history. I suppose my desire for easy, fun natural beauty treatments started with this book. I saw it in a bookstore while shopping with my mother. I believe I bought the book myself, a small personal victory for me at the time.

I was an unemployed teen, okay?!



Anywho, I wanted to try literally everything listed in the book that looked like it would work for me. My mother, forseeing that I was not necessarily the most vigilant individual, suggested that I do not do the ones where you need food to complete the project.

As I got older, I lost this beautiful book, and managed to buy it again in college, this time ordering online. As I looked over the book again, I felt the nostalgia return, and put it away in my library. Re-reading it recently, I realized this book was written in 2003. Definitely not a curl-friendly era, and natural and DIY beauty treatments certainly weren’t as widespread as they are now.

Beauty Trix for Cool Chix contains step-by-step instructions for body creams, manicures and pedicures, perfumes, bath essentials, and of course, TONS of hair care. There are also tips for beauty emergencies and ideas for storing your creations and tools. It even has a section on what to do with glitter! This book may have also contributed to my soon-to-be-not-so-secret obsession with all things sparkly.

I have been able to use some of these projects in real life, however. My mother has used black tea and coffee in my hair to give it a color boost. Once. I think we may have neglected to reinforce my hair with proper moisturizer. I’ve even made, using the book as a source of inspiration, an herbal brew that has saved my hair once. I went swimming at a lake recently, and while I did a good job of rinsing and washing my hair, it still ended up puffy, and not in a good way. I brewed green tea, parsley, and sage in a pot, and used it as a rinse and shampoo / conditioner additive. After a curling session with my trusty Gold moisturizer and some pipe cleaners (that isn’t in the book, I just improvised on a YouTube video I saw), my hair was pretty much back to normal. I just went swimming again in chlorine, and I’m hoping this will work again, only this time I’m using straws. Brewed herbs for me are kind of like oils for most people. They give me the nourishment without giving me the stiffness of oils.

Once I did try using a tiny smidge of avacado on a test spot on my hair, rinsing with warm/hot water to give it the deep conditioning effect. I’ll tell you, that curl burst forth with new life without hardening up. While I’m not brave enough to give myself a full avacado mask at this time, it’s definitely something to consider in the future. A word of caution: avacado contains a latex-like substance, so people with a latex allergy should probably not use this.

My verdict on Beauty Trix for Cool Chix: definitely give it a read, no matter how old you are. Some of these are actually pretty useful to use, just update the look to match your mood or age level. As for me, I hope to share it with my daughters, should I have any.


Who’s your favorite beauty icon? (This can be real or fictional.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...