Wednesday, June 24, 2015

My Experience With... Suave® Professionals Flexible Control Curl Mousse




I am major-league into my curls, and yes, I do like definition. I think my Mother and I were on a product hunt when we came across this. It looked promising, and it looked like it had a decent hold, so we decided to try it. I'd read recently (I think on naturallycurly.com) that it's useful for curly girls.

Upon first using it, I had no idea what to do with it. Turns out, you shake, hold it upside-down, and pull the trigger. Once I heard what sounded like Cool Whip shooting out, followed by a snap, crackle and pop, I realized that I had encountered mousse before. It was at Bath and Body Works YEARS ago, and it was in some kind of fragrance that I wanted to smell. I saw that it said “mousse,” but I thought it was a term for a fancy lotion. Hey, gimme a break, I'd never used that stuff before! So I squirted some out, and started applying it to my hand/arm... as soon as I saw fizzing, I realized something was not right. I read the package again, and found out that it was indeed for hair. I dismissed it as a straight-haired thing, washed the stuff off my arm, and moved on.

Anyway, I applied it to my hair and... I dunno what happened, exactly. I hadn't even touched the stuff until weeks later. I was kinda desperate, and had my hair wet. I applied it, and... WOAH. It was almost like magic! Unfortunately, about 10 minutes later, that “carriage” turned back into a “pumpkin.” Boy, was my hair dry and stiff! I left it alone again.

I read the ingredients and found there was some kind of alcohol compound in it. I don't necessarily write off alcohols as horrible ingredients, especially since some are really fats or oils. No, for real. I think Cetyl or Cetereal Alcohol is an oil.... weird. In any case, I figured that next time, I would use it as a styling agent, rather than a moisturizing and styling agent.

Weeks later, I tried once again, this time as a styling agent over my favorite lotion. Yes, it still dried out, but my hair still looked touchable! To this day, I still use it as just a styling agent. Here's my formula:
   
Rinse + Gold + Mousse = Fabulous-looking curls!


It works like a charm!

What's your formula to fabulous-looking hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...