Friday, July 3, 2015

My Experience With... The First and Only Time I (Sorta, Kinda) Asked a Guy Out / Went to a Sadie Hawkins Dance



I know that was a long-behind title, but trust me, they go hand in hand.

My college decided to have a Sadie Hawkins dance one year. I talked about it with some co-workers at an on-campus department. They asked me who I was going with.

Why did I open my big mouth?

I told them that I didn't have a date, that I had planned to go by myself, just so I could have an excuse to go dancing, and that I'd never even asked a guy out, let alone been on a date. To be perfectly honest, I probably would've asked one guy friend, but he told me that he's got a “surgically altered right foot.” His words. Not mine.

Well, that little confession led to how on earth I'd never dated, and what do I look for in a man. I asked them back, “Do you mean primary or secondary characteristics?” No, seriously, I had a decent list as to what I looked for in a guy, primary characteristics being about the actual person, and secondary characteristics being bonus attributes (looks, etc.). Yeah. That helped. They decided to help me find someone to ask to the dance. Eventually, one guy came in that we helped. (It was a slow day.) When they said that he seemed like a nice guy, I told them that he was actually one of my classmates. They then forced encouraged me to follow the guy and ask him. They even had one girl go with me as a wingwoman. As soon as we got to him, that little so-and-so bailed.

So there I was, facing my biggest challenge to date. I decided to use a diplomatic business approach. I asked him if he was going to the dance at all. I figured if he wasn't, I was off the hook, and I seemed like some girl who was merely advertising for the dance. He did say that he'd heard of it, but it wasn't his thing. He apologized, and I told him it was alright. I breathed a heavy sigh of relief. Never again, I thought. I hadn't even told my mother until, like, last week. But yeah, not only had I never asked a guy out again, I realized just how awkward it was for guys to ask girls out, and I figured talking to a guy I actually liked would be just as hard. So yeah. Still never been on a date, but I'm just glad I got that experience out of the way during my college years. Can you imagine doing that in post-grad world? Yikes. If you're reading this and you have, I apologize.

The night of the dance (it had actually been postponed) finally came, and I went in hoping to dance my shoes off.

Nope.

Most boring event I had ever witnessed.

For one thing, it was mostly couples' dances, and the ones who weren't paired off were the committee, and they weren't even dancing. On top of that, I think it only lasted about 90 minutes, tops! The upside was that I got to see my accounting professor and her husband out-dance all the other couples (all five of them) there.

And now that is the reason I dislike the Relient K song even more. Sorry, guys. Nothing against you as people. If it's any consolation, I do like “Foreverandever etc.” Even the video, strange as it was.





What's your worst dance / dating experience?


*** P.S. I just realized that I mentioned a David Crowder Band song instead of a Relient K song.... MegaFail. I guess my brain couldn't tell the two apart. Does anybody know any good Relient K songs... what's your fave?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...