Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My Experience With... Facing the Giants

***Disclaimer: Same as the Flywheel post.***



Okay, part 2!


I must have been either in late high school or early college when I first heard of this. This movie swept the Church nation like madness. I will admit, I was not eager to watch this at first. No, I've been saved for a long time (certainly by that point), but a) I didn't know anything about the Kendrick Brothers, and b) I was not much of a football person at that point. I'm not now, but I won't object to watching a game. I was more into "Remember the Titans," which was more than enough "football media" for me at that point.

A few years later, I decided I'd give it a shot. I'd been playing in my college's marching band for quite some time, and my football tolerance had gone way up.

Boy did I regret not watching it at my church.

First of all, production quality had gone WAY up since Flywheel. Secondly, I ended up loving it WAY better than "Remember the Titans." Sorry, God-fueled revival trumps ethnic reconciliation for me. :)

(Forgive me, I haven't seen this movie in a while. I needed a refresher, so I read an IMDB summary. My memory did kick in.)

This one is about a high school football coach named Grant Taylor who's on the edge of being a total failure. His team is BEYOND lousy, he is close to being fired, his personal life is nearly in shambles, and he and his wife are unable to have a child. Through the help of a man of God, Grant finds the Lord and dedicates the team to him. The man, himself, prays over the whole school, which starts a new revival among the student body. (Boy, good thing this is a Christian School, eh?)

By the end of the movie, things do turn out alright. As usual, I won't spoil too much, so here are two of my favorite scenes.






What really got my goat was how so many people bashed how "predictable" this movie was.

...

*coughcoughDISNEYANDNICHOLASSPARKSMOVIEScoughcough*


Seriously. Watch it. If not for the cinematic excellence, watch it as a refreshing, heartwarming movie.

Until tomorrow, peace.


What's your favorite sport or sport-related movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...