Monday, August 3, 2015

My Experience With... The Lego Movie


Now this is the first time I've posted a movie review. I wish I'd done this last year, when it came out.


On Sunday, I watched this at a friend's... house? Well, she's house-sitting for missionaries, and so, it's kind of her house. For now. Anyway, she invited a bunch of people, including yours truly, for post-church lunch, chatting, and The Lego Movie. Needless to say, I was quite excited. I had not watched it as of that point, and I had just talked about it with some co-workers a couple of days earlier. Not to mention, "Everything is Awesome" came up on my "Movie Time" (movie, tv, theatre soundtrack) Pandora station.... and it's been stuck in my head ever since.



Alright, then, on to the movie. IT WAS AMAZING. I kid you not, I figured that a movie based on a toy franchise loved by generations would be completely botched up. Nope. It was a refreshingly cool movie that was uplifting, and pretty much free of completely unnecessary gags! Even the protagonist, Emmet, a completely average Joe in every sense of the word, running out of the house without his "clothes" on and the ever-popular sitcom (in the Lego universe of Bricksburg), "Where Are My Pa[aaaaa]nts?" were still funny!

Basically, watching this video will give you an all-star cornucopia of both the Celebrity and Lego Celebrity realms!

In the Real World Celebrity realm you've got:
  • Will Arnett
  • Elizabeth Banks
  • Alison Brie
  • Charlie Day
  • Keith Ferguson
  • Will Ferrell
  • Morgan Freeman (WHAAAT?)
  • Jonah Hill
  • Key (as in "& Peele")
  • Shaq (not kidding you. Again, WHAAAT?)
  • Channing Tatum
  • SO MANY MORE!

In the Lego Realm... whoof... Okay, forget it, too many characters and realms, just watch the movie, and be amazed at the number of appearances that are made.

The movie itself starts with this weird, Sci-Fi Lord of the Rings-type scene of the main antagonist, Lord Business, settling some score with Morgan Freeman's kinda hippy Gandalf-type character. (Forgive my descriptions, they were the first things that came to mind.) Hippy Gandalf-type, whose name is Vitruvius, by the way, prophesies in rhyme about some chosen one ("The Special") who will stop Lord Business' no-gooding.

Cut SpongeBob-style (8 1/2 years later) to Emmet, a regular guy who wants to be cool, popular, and special. He follows instructions for everything. No, really, everything. How to start the day, how to go to work, he even misses the "getting dressed" step. Well, either he missed it, or he followed the directions so closely, he forgot to use common sense for a nanosecond. His instruction books pretty much tell him how to completely live his life. You can see that he's even influenced by what he's told to do if you take a close look at his posters, and his choice in television show(s). I will say, lego jumping jacks... hysterical. :)

It's kind of surreal, though, when you think about it. Kinda ridiculous for a block-man to be told how to live life by a bunch of block-shaped "books." Then again, are you reading this on your phone, tablet, laptop or electronic device? Is your next site Social Site, Buzzfeed, or Pinterest? I thought as much.

(I'm guilty, too! I just cut off my Facebook account, and it hurts so good! #FacebookFree, anyone? No?)

Emmet's failing search to become popular leads him to lose one of his instruction books, which in turn, has him distracted to the point where his adventure ultimately begins. He meets a young Lego-lady named "Wild Style," Vitruvius, Unikitty (my favorite character), and Batman. Oh yeah. Batman. It's really great, too, how they turned such a popular character-turned-meme into an integral part of the movie!

The movie takes a lot of twists and turns, and it makes a very touching ending. I won't give any more away, I don't want to ruin it for those of you who haven't seen it yet! (Hey, I told another co-worker about it today, and she hasn't seen it yet.) I will leave you with the fact that it is, well, an awesome movie! Lol. I would highly recommend it.


Peace out.

Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when you're part of a team
Everything is awesome when we're living our dream

So............... what insanely annoying song that you ended up liking has gotten stuck in your head, lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...