Friday, October 20, 2017

My Experience With... Lego's Batman: The Movie (DC Super Heroes Unite)

Shall I continue with disappointments?

I am not what you might call a total fan of the whole DC / Marvel Superhero genre. I don’t hate it, but I’m not the type to rush to watch a midnight viewing. Then again, I’m not in a rush to even rent such movies from Redbox. That’s what internet jokes and YouTube channels are for. However, I did find Lego Batman to be my favorite character in The Lego Movie, and I definitely wanted to see The Lego Batman Movie. So, I found my opportunity! I went to the library and saw a DVD, and picked it up.

There was one problem. You know how sometimes you think something’s one thing, when it’s really something ever so slightly different? What I thought was The Lego Batman Movie turned out to be Lego's Batman The Movie. I decided to watch it, anyway, just for the heck of it.


Fun fact: this movie came out a year before
The Lego Movie. I’d never even known it existed.

The movie starts off with a pretty cool lego-themed background (revealed to be the bat sign), along with the Danny Elfman version of the Batman theme. The na-na-na-na-na version would’ve been pretty funny over the otherwise serious-looking opening, but I still loved the opening they chose. Took me back to my first year of college, when my marching band played that as part of its halftime show (we had a superhero-themed show with Batman, X-Men, and a Superman medley). Then we start our story with definitely CGI’d Lego Batman and Superman, as they face Lex Luthor.

Don’t worry, I know some of the superhero
characters. I used to watch the Adam West
version of Batman with my Dad.

The two heroes are defeated quickly by a joint effort between Lex and the Joker (I’m guessing the Romero version). Then they go to two days earlier, when Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne (I know that’s Batman, thank you.) are at a “Man of the Year” award ceremony. Bruce wins, but the trophy and other valuables are stolen by the Joker (and a slew of other villains). Batman and Robin retrieve it after an action-packed scuffle.

In the middle of the showdown, Batman used a super forcefield to keep his Batmobile intact. Superman shows up after the fight to help retrieve items lost or damaged in the fight. As you may or may not be aware, Superman and Batman are not exactly the best of buddies. More like frienemies, really. And not even very good ones.

I never understood that. One is a mutant alien savior,
the other is basically a rich crooked cop. They both
save people! It makes no sense to me. If you feel like
explaining to me in great or minute detail what I’m missing,
I give you full permission to comment below.

Lex Luthor is clearly unhappy about his loss, but has not completely lost hope. He’s a candidate for President of the United States. However, he’s way less popular than even Jill Stein was in the polls!

She’s neither Trump nor Hillary. She’s fair game.

He watches the tapes of The Joker’s arrest, as well as past footage of his villainous schemes, and decides to break him out of prison and hire him to join forces against our two superheroes. Here’s where I’ll stop. It’s a seemingly cheap flick, but the story doesn’t seem so bad.

I suppose the CG is pretty good, given its time period. It makes the Legos look like rubber, but since this seems more like a Cartoon Network flick than a summer blockbuster, I’ll certainly let it pass. The effects themselves are fascinating to watch, even though the sets definitely look half-Lego and half-realistic.

It’s a quick watch, considering the story itself is about an hour long, but it does do what it’s supposed to do: give easy laughs, distract the mind for a long period of time, and have a nice little moral. I was a little bit confused by the ending, but I’m just going to assume that I just don’t understand Justice League folklore.

If you have especially little kids, this is a perfect for them, whether they’re into the superhero genre or not.


What’s the biggest / zaniest / most embarrassing mistake you’ve made?

Plugging time! YouTubePage

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...