Thursday, October 12, 2017

My Experience With... Mousehunt and Kangaroo Jack

My Experience With... Mousehunt and Kangaroo Jack.

I’ve mentioned before that I really like cheap entertainment, and that I have found DVD combinations in Food Lion such as Cats Don’t Dance / Quest for Camelot and Fantastic Mr. Fox / Robots. However, not all combinations are created equal. Or even good, in the case of Bride Wars / 27 Dresses (no, seriously, I just want Bride Wars). Some combinations just look like an apocalypse in a case, such as…

*deeeep, sucking-through-teeth inhale*

Mousehunt / Kangaroo Jack.



My GOSH, if there were ever a cinematic duo so abysmal, it would be these two. And oddly enough, I somehow still have fondness of the first one rather than the second one.

I’m only going by memory here, folks. No way am I about
to watch these two masterflunks again.



I originally recall catching the end of Mousehunt on TV with my Mom, and it seemed really cute. The mouse was adorable, and the closure seemed perfectly apropos to a family movie. So we bought it. Or rented it. Or something.

Talk about a 180.

The ending was about the ONLY part I liked in this movie. This was rated PG, but apparently during that point in time that it didn’t mean, “one guy dies” or “some obscure character said a mild curse word.” Nope. I don’t necessarily mind cartoon violence. For crying out loud, I grew up watching Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera series, and Tex Avery shorts. What I do mind is the voice of Timon talking about the lineage of female canines. Yeah, there was quite a bit of language, some sexual stuff in there (again, if only comical). It’s one thing to have that marketed to an older audience, but it’s another thing to make it look like some adorable mouse chef chase that’s family fun for all ages.

Thank GOD Disney / Pixar
got it right years later.


Speaking of misleading marketing…



WHAT IN THE WORLD WENT ON HERE?

Anybody over the age of 18-20 would remember what they thought was the premise of this blasted feature: a funny talking, rapping kangaroo wearing a hoodie in the middle of Australia, for some reason. Did you need a reason? No! Why? Because it’s a funny, talking, rapping kangaroo!!! For many kids (and their unsuspecting parents… SOLD! The kangaroo rapping was cool with the kids, and the kangaroo rapping a Sugarhill Gang song was cool with the parents.

My Dad took me to see this movie, and I was STOKED. AS WAS EVERY OTHER KID BROUGHT TO THE THEATRE BY THEIR PARENTS.

The movie started with… a crime chase? Huh? Okay. Waiting for the kangaroo, I guess. It took a long stinking time, and I remember getting bored. Then we saw the kangaroo… yay? It didn’t talk. Or dance. Or rap. It barely made noises. It did kick one of the main characters, though. That got a laugh. I guess I was desperate. It may have done other things, too, but I don’t remember.

We finally got to the part where Kangaroo Jack started doing what we saw in the trailer. What started that? The guy was in a dream… after being knocked unconscious… when he got KO’d by a hot chick… whose chest he had just fondled. WHY?

I will give Mousehunt a half-pass for having dudes putting their hands down women’s dresses, because THEY WERE AT LEAST LOOKING FOR A MOUSE. As comically stupid as it was (and unnecessary for a “family” film), a mouse in your clothing is pretty serious in real life.

Here, this guy was just a jerk. He thought he was hallucinating, and acted upon impulses rather than rational thinking. Yeah, pretty much all the characters in the scene (except for the jerk, himself), turned into kangaroos, and chanted “Chicken Blood” over and over again. The rest of the movie was a lot of blah-blah-blah, boring-boring-boring, we’re not gonna see any more kangaroo antics again are we? Nope. WHO CARES, I HATED IT.

There was a G’Day, USA version, but I only caught the rap part on Cartoon Network. I had some hope in this film. It was a pretty cool scene. Boxing + “Mama said knock you out” = hey, this film may be pretty goo—YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, IT WAS STILL A DREAM SEQUENCE??! CLICK. Urrrrgh!!! If the rest of the film is any good, please let me know. In the meantime, I’ll leave Kangaroo Jack ALONE and watch The Rescuers Down Under. That movie is awesome.

I’m not a fan of these remakes in movies these days (seriously Disney, STOP remaking your classic films), but if someone were to do a Kangaroo Jack that is actually more about a talking, rapping kangaroo than a couple of loose screws stealing some cash, I would actually pay $20 to see it, plus another $20 for concessions. That’s $40 I’m willing to cough up for a re-make. Get on it, people.

Sorry this post was so rant-y. I just saw this abominable combination and knew I had to write about it. It was either that or take a lighter and some gasoline and torch the DVD section of Food Lion. The latter just seemed too mean-spirited and probably would’ve landed me in jail.

Plugging time! YouTube Page.


What’s the biggest letdown you’ve ever had?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...