Friday, August 5, 2016

My Experience With… Crayola Art Studio 2

If you’ve been keeping up with this blog (or been binge-reading it for the past hour or so), you may notice that I have a bit of a history with old games. Well, being a millennial, I suppose it comes naturally. I’ve been playing with computer and video games since I was a tot, and I have a huge preference for olden games from the saintly days of yore. I suppose my mother had a big influence on that, which is weird because I wouldn’t exactly peg her as a game geek, but on the other hand, most of what she bought me was educational, so I guess she and I are both geeks of some reference.

Whatever.

Ever see a game that looks like it’s going to be every bit as cheesy as it sounds? Well, in the spirit of continuing to wax nostalgia… here’s Crayola Art Studio 2.



GAAAAH!!!!! Looking at this now, this is about as cheesy as cheese could get! Wisconsin can’t even manufacture this much cheese! So many fonts and colors, the wacky setup, and…. WHAT’S WITH THE TV AND BIKE HORN??!!!! Was someone sniffing Sharpies before they made this??!!!!! This makes the intro to Hey Vern, It’s Ernest! look sane!



Looking back on it now, I realize just how ridiculous this game was. But back then… and to an extent, still now… THIS GAME ROCKED!!!!



This was nothing short of an amazing part of my childhood. I enjoyed games like Kid Pix and SimTunes, but could only play them at school because I didn’t have a Mac. I also have no idea what Crayola Art Studio ONE was, but who cared! Best game intro ever, completely danceable, AND it was a two-stager!

The first was Crayola Art Adventures, which was for the little kids. It was kinda boring, but still had its value. Because most of the “Art” was structured, then “free color,” I felt a little stinted using that. The second part, the actual “art studio” was AWESOME! The challenges were more fitting for my age, plus you had your OWN CANVAS. You could make awesome slideshows with drawings and animations, and you could even save them to a miniature “gallery” or print them. Unfortunately, and obviously, you couldn’t print the animations. Whatever. It was still cool.

In each room, there were all kinds of things to click on to set off animations, etc., and in the studio, there was a phone that you clicked to hear a random joke. There must’ve been at least 5 or 10 jokes, and I used to know every one of them. I don’t remember them, but I’m certain my mother must, considering the number of times she’s heard them from me or the game. (Oops. Sorry, Mom… if you happen to be reading this blog.)

Yeah, this game was jam-packed with wacky sound effects, bright colors, and crazy animations to keep the child’s interest and to bug the living daylights out of parents (Again, sorry, Mom.) Oh, and didn’t even mention the part of the game where you can find out the history of Crayola, plus how crayons and markers are manufactured. Having been raised on Sesame Street and Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood (among many others), this was insanely exciting for me to watch, especially since it was “hosted” by kids, plus “explained” by a cartoon crayon and marker.

Like Qwirks, this is a game that I miss. I need to find these games! Well, if you happen upon Crayola Art Studio 2, let your kid try it out, or try it yourself, because why not? I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy it… provided you’re not like these cynical internet critics. J

See ya!



What’s your favorite cartoony sound effect?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...