Friday, August 25, 2017

My Experience With... Supermarket Sweep

Okay, wait a minute. First, have you read these? If not, do so now.

We good? Good. Continue.





#BringSupermarketSweepBack

Finally, we've come to the fun, less drama-filled portion of the Pax series (and also the last of the Pax series), my once-favorite game show ever, Supermarket Sweep!

I probably started watching this with my parents just on a fluke, and then got hooked! I don't know about you, but you really couldn't get any closer to perfection than this. Heck, even Buzzfeed has sung its praises, and I didn't know that anybody knew what it was!

The show itself started back in the 60s, but I watched its last revival in the '00s, when David Ruprecht (pictured above) was the host.

I had to -- yet again -- do some research on this... mainly because
it's been so doggone long since I've watched this show!!!

You start off with some clips of previous contestants before getting introduced to all the contestants -- 3 pairs -- , then before David Ruprecht comes out and gives a massive air high five.

Sorry, guys, no gif was available on the internet.
UNTIL NOW!!!


The contestants play through a series of games and quizzes to score points. These were typically very easy in difficulty. Maybe it's because you typically find these things in the supermarket. I dunno. My personal favorite game was Round Robin, a lightning round in which you had to fill in blanks or unscramble product names to answer the questions correctly. At the end of the first part of the show, people went out and went "grocery shopping."

I got to the point where I was really good at solving these puzzles. I even wanted to go onto this show with my Dad, once I got old enough, so I studied as many grocery store products as I could. I think they may have had a "kids' week," but I somehow missed it. I also strategized how to shop in the shopping portion. By the way, 1) get the ham. 2) get the oil. 3) if you get more than five of each item, they will not penalize you for the extra items. 4) just grab any of the bonus things 5) save the candy/coffee for last. They take up SO MUCH TIME!!!

The person with the highest grocery bill went to the final round... WHICH WAS SO STINKING HARD!!!! You have 3 clues to get to the $5000 prize, and it was glorious each time someone found it (which was somewhat rare).

This was the game show to end all game shows, in my opinion. Great host, great vibes, fun games, and just challenging enough while still being very relatable to everyday life. Move over, Jeopardy!, you've officially taken 2nd place.

I'll tell you one thing, if someone ever needed to bring this show back, just saying, I'd totally be available to host!

Just give me at least two weeks, first.
I do have a full-time job.

Plugging time! YouTube Page

What're your  top 3 favorite game shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...