Friday, August 18, 2017

My Experience With... Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye

Hey, everyone! Round 2 of Pax week!

(Read last week's post on Doc)



I don't know for certain at what point in my history that I took up a casual interest in ASL (I know I was a little kid when I got an ASL dictionary), but I think Sue Thomas F.B.IEye definitely increased my interest.

The show centers on Sue Thomas, a deaf woman who ends up being an F.B.I agent. She has a best friend / roommate named Lucy, who learns ASL / interprets for Sue from time to time, and an adorable Golden Retriever named Luke. The show hosts a slew of other characters including a cute love interest named Jack; the ever-snobby but golden-hearted Bobby; wise Dimitrius, Myles, whose character escapes me right now; and Tara, the computer whiz of the group.

One cool thing about the show is that Sue Thomas is played by Deanne Bray, who is actually deaf in one ear, with residual hearing in the other.

Yeah, I just looked it up. You would've, too.

While a hearing (non-deaf) person playing a deaf person would've been just as cool, it was nice that they actually got someone at least hard of hearing.

In any case, it was a good mixture of heavy (enough) drama... somewhere between Adam-12 and Law & Order (the original series), plus lots of light-hearted comedy. Plus a LOT of ASL stuff. I learned words like "lazy" and "horse," and I know the difference between "shoes" and "sausages," as well as "coffee" and "make out."

You've gotta watch those episodes, they're amazing.

Sue Thomas also featured way more than Sue Thomas herself as far as deaf people. Several episodes featured ASL conversations. In fact, one of my favorite moments in the series was when Sue was arguing with another deaf person about something, and they panned the camera back and forth like an intense argument between hearing people, and put in subtitles, so you could understand. It was great because you felt the intensity, while only hearing the occasional brush between hands.

I kinda miss this show. I don't remember it as much as I do Doc, but I remember watching those two back to back every Sunday night during my tween years. And they used to advertise the HECK out of that combo. I'm surprised there wasn't a crossover... or at least one that I can remember.

Deanne Bray is still very active in her work, and episodes can be found on YouTube.

There go my plans for the next four years. ^_^

Next week, I'm laying off the drama and introducing the absolute coolest, wildest, wackiest, most amazing game show ever to grace the airwaves!!!!

#Bring****************Back

Plugging time! YouTube Page

What's your favorite language that you don't speak natively? Can you sign?

2 comments:

  1. Doc Season 4 episode 5....Troy is there to help the deaf boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wait. Same actor. Same character name. But different back story.

    ReplyDelete

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...