Friday, August 4, 2017

My Experience With... Robots (film)


This movie was interesting for me. I definitely wanted to see this when I first saw the trailers. However when I saw it.... ehh. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't going to make my top 10. Heck, not even top 50.

Robots takes place in a land where pretty much everything is sentient in some way, shape or form, as long as it's mostly metal. I wouldn't do like many critics and think too much about the semantics on what's animate and what's inanimate. For one thing, your brain would hurt. For another thing, it would probably kill half the jokes in this picture. The story starts with a dishwasher named Herb Copperbottom who is excited to become a father. He and his wife literally build their baby boy, Rodney. The family is an average working-class family, and Rodney usually gets hand-me-downs as upgrades as he gets older.

In Rodney's youth, he gets inspired at a parade honoring a famous CEO named Bigweld, whose company hires and promotes inventors. From that point on, Rodney focuses on his inventions, many of which are failures, but his spirit never dampens. He even makes a little robot named Wonderbot to help out his dad. When Wonderbot malfunctions, he nearly costs his dad his job. It's at that point that Rodney makes the decision to move to the big city and work for Bigweld. His parents are reluctant but let him go.

Rodney arrives in Robot City and tries to get into the door, but gets shut out by the doorkeeper. After several futile attempts, Rodney loses a part, which gets stolen by a robot named Fender, who is voiced by the late great Robin Williams. He is part of a group of outmodes (robots whose parts are no longer manufactured) that is taken care of by Aunt Fanny.


"Why do you call her Aunt Fanny?"
"Can't call her Aunt Booty."

It turns out that Bigweld Industries is not the company it once was in its heyday, and Bigweld is nowhere to be found. It is run by a VP named Ratchet, who is only concerned with upgrades. He's also manipulated by the psychotic mother to end all psychotic mothers. No, seriously. She makes Madea seem sane.

So why wouldn't I like this movie? Zoom ahead in time over ten years: I watched it again more recently (it was part of a DVD package with Fantastic Mr. Fox) and I cracked up! The movie was pretty good (again, not top 50, but still good), Fender was hilarious, the pop culture references certainly were dated, but still funny... I guess I was not a big fan about some of the more *ahem* mature humour featured. I'm still not totally crazy about it, but I wouldn't completely discount the movie. It's a PG film, but I think it's actually earned its rating. I would say that this is great for older teens, at least. Either my taste in movies changed from over 10 years ago, or I saw different elements that I liked better.

Who'd've thought? (<<--- And yes, that is technically correct spelling.)

And of course, this:



I think this was my favorite part, even back then.

What is something you like that you didn't like years ago?

Plugging time! YouTubePage

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...