Friday, September 29, 2017

My Experience With... Adventures in Wonderland (Alice part 5)

Well, I've finished the majority of the Alice series. Technically, that's all I can say about Alice in Wonderland. How about something based off the original whimsy, and is totally the opposite of the Tim Burton film that'll be sure to have a cult following in 20 years?

Alice series:


TA-DA! TODAY'S THE MYSTERY
BLOG POST! (Plus, virtual high-five to the
first to get where this came from.)


I canNOT express enough how much I love the 1988 movie, but this is my absolute 2nd-favorite Alice-related media. If Disney's movie was a snapshot of the adventures described by Lewis Carroll, then Adventures in Wonderland is the HD .png! Just take a look at this!


Catchy, ain't it?! (Please ignore the 90s cheese.)


Adventures in Wonderland was a kids' show on Disney Channel. It had 100 episodes, and lasted from 1992 to 1995 -- a good run for any children's show. It chronicled the life of young Alice (often shown with her cat, Dinah), who had day-to-day issues that she faced, and learned corresponding lessons every time she escaped reality through her mirror into Wonderland. Each episode was a little different, but always featured a claymation story narrated by the Caterpillar (who doesn't smoke a hookah -- it's a kid's show in the 90s), and LOTS of fun songs.

Characters:

Alice: protagonist. I liked her character, and thought her singing voice was pretty cool.


Dinah: it's a cat. Nothing special for me. She's cute and fluffy, I suppose.



Red Queen: For some reason, she reminded me of my mother...


White Rabbit: Yup, it was the 90s, alright. In-line skates, anyone?


Mad Hatter: I remember asking my Mom why he was wearing lipstick.


March Hare: That makeup was super good! I think I was most impressed with his costume.


Dormouse: Awww, he was so cute! I used to wonder how they fit an actor into the teapot. I was 4. Gimme a break.


Caterpillar: Only slightly frightening to me, which was impressive given the fact that I used to scare easily. (Used to???) Zip it.


Cheshire Cat: I used to find him so hilarious.

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum: My fave characters of all time. I used to think they were the best singers, dancers, and rappers. Never mind the fact that they didn't even look like neighbors, let alone brothers.

This was an amazing show. It had a colorful, diverse set of characters, great musical numbers, and it even subtly taught you fun nuances of the English language! How do you top that?!



I remember being so happy when I got these VHS's, and was hooked ever since. Mom even got to record a few episodes onto some blank VHS's or old tapes that I didn't like. I might still have them somewhere. Let me hit you with the episode "Off the Cuffs" from the "Hare-Raising Magic" VHS for your viewing pleasure.


Basically, it was one of the coolest kids' programs on earth, and I hope to share it with any of my future progeny.

Thank you very much for sticking with me during this 5(ish)-part series! Next week, I'm looking to go back into a previous 5-part series with a new twist. Could a book be better than a movie, even if the movie came out first???? Find out next week on My Experiences With!!! Fridays at Midngith / 9 pm PST!

Okay, that was weird....

Plugging time! YouTube Page.

What old TV show gives you the feels? Has Disney gone down in children's show quality? Is there hope for TV in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...