Friday, September 22, 2017

My Experience With.... Alice in Wonderland (Part 4) -- The OTHER "Disney" Version

GURSHFGHWOJAWIFJD.

Here we go.


The first time I heard about this, everything just seemed... wrong. So wrong.

I was a little excited for a few of the actors, though, namely Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Anne "I Was Born to Be a Fairytale Character" Hathaway. So I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, and figured that this went to the darker side of a dream, the kind of dream that isn't quite a nightmare, but a few more scares will have you seriously re-doubting yourself.

The movie was beyond disappointing for me, at first, mainly because Alice was a grown-up woman, who thought (and understandably so) that Wonderland was a dream. She's involved with all the blandness (no, seriously, look at the scenery) of her reality and it all gets interrupted when -- what else -- a white rabbit catches her eye. Deja vous, right?

Oh, and can someone change the title
to Alice in Underland? Yeah, it's "Underland,"
not "Wonderland." (WHY????)

In the original Disney version of this film (yes, this one IS a Disney version directed by Tim Burton), I mentioned that they combined the best of both of the original novels... here, they take the worst parts, age them in brine, and dress it up in goth clothes.

The whole story centers on Alice's coming of age plus fulfilling a Frabjous Day prophecy. It's that dull. While the concept itself sounds pretty cool, I think that this would be better suited in fan fiction.

I think that seems to be the case with a lot of movies these days, in a world that's dying for original content. If this were a game in a separate franchise, I might think it's cool. It's almost like that Twisted Fairytale spot-the-difference game with Goldilocks and the 3(?) Bears. It creeped me out, but it was a fresh take on a lower playing field. Even the story taking place in "Underland," is not that terrible of a concept, if it were not Disney or Tim Burton. Plus, it seemed very dark and structured for something that was supposed to be like a dreamland.

If you do watch this, try to watch without thinking of the original story, and pretend it's someone's fanfiction that got waaaaaaaaaaay too much funding.


Peace!

Plugging time! YouTube Page.

What's your take on these revamped classic stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Experience With... Going to a Salon (Natural Hair Journey part 2)

Over 5 years ago, I decided to start a blog when I had a terrible situation regarding Wen hair products. It isn't my first hair horror ...